Community Health Innovators
Sibley Memorial Hospital, a part of Johns Hopkins Medicine, is proud to launch the first Community Health Innovators In Residence program. We're calling this cohort Community Innovators for short. This program was created by Sibley's Community Affairs team and the Sibley Innovation Hub with a simple goal: empower residents to innovate around health, life, and wellbeing.
Here are some quick facts:
- Selected Community Innovators (teams) will be paid a stipend of $20,000 and will have $5,000 for supplies and expenses.
- Anyone living in DC Wards 7 and 8 may apply.
- Apply in teams - teams can be between 2-4 people.
- Nonprofits with operating budgets of less than $2 Million who primary work and serve Wards 7 and/or 8 may apply.
- The program will take place over October 2017 - February 2018 - a preliminary calendar can be found here.
- Selected Innovators will work closely with Sibley's industry-leading innovation hub as well as national experts in innovation, design thinking and entrepreneurship.
What Makes a good innovator?
- be excited by problems, drawn to challenges and have an insatiable urge to make the world better
- be curious, eager learners
- be kind, courageous and creative
The themes for this cohort came from the original Ward Infinity listening sessions conducted by Sibley's community affairs and innovation teams. These were sessions with older adults, families, faith leaders, and students in Wards 7 and 8. During the sessions we held one on one and small group discussions. Those discussions led us to identify themes —patterns that emerged across multiple conversations and sessions —we call them insights.
Insights help innovators frame a challenge. In this case, we identified 5 themes. Applicants will be asked to pick from one of these themes when applying. Pick the one for which you are most curious or inspired. You can learn more about the themes here.
We've also started a FAQ page. It has some more details to some of the questions we've received most often. And if none of these pages or links helps, we're standing by. You can email us here and we'll get back to you within 48 hours (probably sooner).
you can download a PDF of the application here (however all official applications must be submitted via this website).